Personalizing a garden space: The Beginning
When we bought our house in August of last year the previous owner loved gardening and didn’t mind spending a fortune in plants. Good for me since now I don’t have to buy anything. Not so good, however, because he liked to plant plants on top of others, or under or behind. The more I have analyzed and thought about the design and feel of the garden spaces, the more chaotic it feels. I love all the color, but it is so difficult to weed. I have already worked on a few of the beds in front. I have removed gallons of Vinca and grass that muddled the picture. We also removed three trees that were too close to the house. Now, however, it’s time to work on one of the beds in back.
With my grandmother’s passing in January, their orchard will have to be sold. Originally I had wanted to keep half of it and farm, but we’re just not at a place in our lives where that is practical. It saddens me to my core because it was a place that I loved and found solace in. I wanted that for my son. I wanted to share it with him and have him enjoy it, but in reality, it just won’t be the same without my grandparents. They, and the incredible mountain views, were what made the place special to me. But I digress. On my grandparents land they had several apple trees. Our plan is to graft a couple of the varieties onto dwarfing rootstock and plant them in our backyard. In that way, we’ll always have a piece of them.
Before we can accomplish this, however, we need to remove a stump, and re-grade, which means clearing the entire bed.
So today we decided to start this process. I picked out a plant, a white hellebore, to dig up. I took a chunk of the plant as well as some new sprouts and planted them in pots. Since I’m not sure of the final plan yet or where I eventually want these plants to end up, I am hoping that they will survive like this. The other large section of the plant we gave to my parents, whom we have designated as the plant rescue house.
It’s a start. Now I just have to try to root cuttings of a couple of Hydrangea in case they don’t survive the move to a pot.