Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
I ventured out with another mom last week for a trip to OMSI. I remember field trips to OMSI when I was a kid and I always loved it. Of course, I’ve always been a science geek.
The museum is huge with lots of different exhibits, a planetarium, and huge circular theater. The theater is an experience, but if you get motion sickness, it can be a bit much. While most of the museum caters to older kids and adults, they have a large area for kids five and under. It allows the kids to learn while playing and help explore all things science. It’s a great way for kids to let loose, experiment and have fun all within a fairly contained area. We had a blast and now that our son is walking full-time, we’ll definitely go back.
Here is a recipe for home-made play dough from the OMSI website:
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
3 tbs cream of tarter
2 tbs oil
2 cups water
Food coloring or liquid watercolor (a few drops)
- Mix the dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir well. DO NOT ADD GLITTER YET!
- Mix the water, oil, and food coloring in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while stirring
- Stir until you get a smooth consistency
- Cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes
- Remove the crusty playdough from around the edge of the bowl with a fork
- Let dough cool, and stir dough for about one minute, breaking up the lumps
- Return to microwave and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Remove the crusty playdough from around the edge of the bowl with a fork.
- Let cool, and knead dough for about one minute, breaking up the lumps
- Cook until dough is no longer sticky, about one minute
- Spread out on cookie sheet or tray to aid the cooling process
- Knead in the glitter and have fun!
Notes About Safety
DO NOT PUT GLITTER IN THE MICROWAVE!
Be very careful, the dough will be extremely hot after cooking, and cooking times vary depending on the microwave.